Sunday, January 18, 2009

At Arlington National Cemetery: a personal connection

Arlington National Cemetery
Steven and several other Bonny Eagle students look for a gravesite
Steven kneels beside his great-grandfather's grave, down the hill from John F. Kennedy's grave.

By Steven Murphy
We arrived at Arlington National Cemetery around one o’clock and began our tour of the 800-acre graveyard. As we stepped out of the bus, we Mainers were relishing in the warmer air with our jackets in our hands while the Florida group started to bundle up, face masks and all. Next we were given a tour guide and sent on our way. The sheer size of Arlington is astounding: row after row of white graves for as far as you can see.
Visiting Arlington was personal for me. My great grand-father, Joseph Ready is buried amoung the many souls resting in Arlington after leading a battle in World War II as a brigader general. Finding and then standing in front my great-grandfathers grave was truly surreal. I took great pride in knowing that my ancestor is honored at Arlington.
The atmosphere in the cemetery was more than anyone could ask for, grey skies and a slight breeze was a perfect mood for my trip to Arlington.

2 comments:

  1. Steven - My name is Tricia and I am your dad's cousin from Ohio. I have always wanted to see Grandma & Grandpa's grave and you have made that come true. Although you know its not the same as seeing it in person, it still moved me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very good at writting and allowing one to actually feel what you are saying. You are the only other grand child who has visited our great grandfather’s grave. I am glad you got to experience this and I hope you have an amazing time! Love you lots..:)

    -AM

    ReplyDelete